We envision American Indian and Alaska Native women living in balance within the sacred circle of life.
To assist American Indian and Alaska Native women in achieving optimal health and well-being for themselves, their families, and their communities.
The goal is the establishment of a national Indian women's health network that promotes advocacy, education, policy, development, appropriate research, and encouragement of healthy lifestyle behaviors within cultural context
The NIWHRC is:
- A national voice supporting the efforts of the Tribal and Urban Indian programs, providing them with a focal point for resources and dissemination of women's health information.
- Committed to sharing information with Indian programs through the expertise of the board members.
- Promoting new women's health related research.
The Benefits to Indian Communities:
- Addressing the needs for women's specific health information that is culturally relevant and sensitive.
- Improving health programming for Indian women.
- Promoting the use of traditional healing in conjunction with western medicine.
- Promoting women's health related research.
- Providing Indian Health and other health agencies with input on policy information that effect Indian women.